The Vulnerable Basement Window
New York, New Jersey, Boston, Philadelphia
With the past and potential flooding from this hurricane season, many are concerned about the most vulnerable part of their homes – the basement window. Even low-level flooding can cause intense damage through this vulnerable opening.
So, how do we make the basement window as impenetrable as a brick wall and still allow light to enter the house?
A pre-assembled glass block window is a great choice for basement windows, or windows that may be below flood stage level. The primary reason is that Glass Block Windows have the characteristics of a solid concrete block wall.
While glass block windows provide protection against water penetration, they also provide a high level of security against burglary. They eliminate the need for storm windows and reduce the energy required for heating and air conditioning.
Let’s look at the advantages of a Pittsburgh Corning Mortared Glass Block Window
- Water Resistance: Acts as solid concrete block wall.
- Energy Efficiency: Comparable to a double pane window. Eliminates drafts.
- Window Treatment: No need. Privacy is controlled by pattern selection.
- Security: Resists breakage and entry. Reduces the risk of burglary.
- Maintenance: No maintenance.
- Cost: Very comparable to a single pane window or less expensive. Check with authorized PC distributor
Installation is easier than expected. Glass Block windows, such as those from Pittsburgh Corning Glass Block, are available pre-assembled. You can choose standard or custom sizes, with or without ventilation.
Choose from three distinct patterns of glass block, each offering its own unique style, degree of light transmission and privacy. Perfect for replacement or new-window and small-partition applications.
Call us for a Free Estimate. We have over twenty years of experience designing and installing commercial and residential glass block nationwide.